This page is a living reference to articles that deal with the environment, climate change and the topic of global warming. We have selected several favorite articles developed here and have listed other pertinent resources on the web. Also, we have included some sage quotations at the bottom of this article.
Image: The Gore effect in its full glory
Selected Articles from this website
- Earth’s Oceans – A Mesozoic Hot Tub — Scientific Evidence that Atlantic Ocean temperatures may have once reached 107° (42°C) – about 25°F (14°C) higher than ocean temperatures today and warmer than a hot tub.
- Ultimate Global Warming – SPF 2 Million Won’t Be Enough — The Sun is a star – a main sequence star whose business is to fuse hydrogen atoms into helium atoms. Fusion is a steady but somewhat unstable and potentially violent thermonuclear process.
- The “O” Zone — Think of the ozone layer as Earth’s sunglasses, protecting life on the surface from the harmful glare of the sun’s strongest ultraviolet rays, which can cause skin cancer and other maladies.
- Correlating Sunspots to Global Climate — This is a study in two observations made over the last 400 years: observed annual sunspot numbers and derived global temperatures.
- The Indefensible Hockey Stick — The “hockey stick” (the graph resembles a hockey stick) graph emerged in 1995 and purports to depict average global temperatures over the last 1000 years or so. The basis of this paradigm, however, can be shown to be flawed.
- Cosmic Rays, Solar Flux and Global Warming — When you consider the context of this galactic radiation effect, the impact of CO2 emissions caused by humanity literally fade away into climatic insignificance.
- Apocalypse – Not! — These four essays, “The Four Horsemen of the Non-Apocalypse,” as it were, are grouped into a page entitled “Good news, Mr. Gore, the Apocalypse has been postponed.”
Climate Websites and Blogs
And a few of my favorites
- John L. Daly: The ‘Hockey Stick’ – A New Low in Climate Science
- Senator James Inhofe: A Skeptics Guide to Global Warming (PDF)
- Michael Crichton: Aliens Cause Global Warming (PDF), A lecture presented to JPL in 2003.
- Visit Michael Crichton’s Speeches Page — “The Impossibility of Prediction” and “Fear, Complexity, Environmental Management in the 21st Century” are particularly good.
- Mark Alexander: Global Warming: Fact, Fiction and Political Endgame
- The antidote for Al Gore’s gross misrepresentation, “An Inconvenient Truth,” is Martin Durkin’s “The Great Global Warming Swindle.”
These are all good resources to invoke when your local GREENBAT starts spewing the doom and gloom.
“Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory.”
— Leonardo Da Vinci
“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.”
— Galileo Galilei
“Scientists best serve public policy by living within the ethics of science, not those of politics. If the scientific community will not unfrock the charlatans, the public will not discern the difference; science and the nation will suffer.”
— Philip Handler, National Academy of Sciences
“Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled. Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.”
— Michael Crichton